Sunday, September 8, 2019

Feedback Strategies

Mistakes are Mine from the Feedback Padlet

The two posts I read were Be a Mirror by Gravity Goldberg and How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk by Adam Grant. Grant pointed out four main ideas that included explaining yourself, getting a better attitude, asking if people want feedback, and being transparent. I think that all of these things are important when giving feedback because your goal is to help, not hurt fellow writers. It is easy to critique others without thinking about how people are going to actually take it. Some people have thicker skin than others, but you never really know how someone is going to react to your feedback. Therefore, you might as well give efficient feedback that will be helpful overall. Goldberg pointed out five similar yet different ideas that can help in giving feedback that include being specific, focusing on the reader and process, making sure it can transfer, and finally to not be too personal. These tips are so important because we have to think of helping out other writers in a way that others will understand, not just us personally. I know that I have gotten much better at giving feedback as I have progressed in college, but I look forward to using some of these tips to help out my fellow peers. I also look forward to working on my ability to take feedback and constructive criticism without taking things so negatively. Anytime I received feedback in the past I would immediately be upset. I never saw the feedback as being something that could help me because I let my emotions get in the way. However, I feel that I have grown and I am able to take the comments that are given to me in order to better my future self. Now, I can only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment