Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Week 4 Story: Cupid, Kanye, and the Kardashians

Inspired by: Apuleius's Golden Ass, as translated into English by Tony Kline (2013)

Image result for kanye west and kim kardashian
Los Angelas, CA - May 2012: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West by Getty Images

The Kardashians are without a doubt known for their beauty and glam... but Kim is arguably the most famous of the three. Kourtney and Khloe are beautiful as well, but Kim's image is usually the one that people focus on the most. Kourtney's baby-daddy Scott likes to drink and party a bot too much, but needless to say he is quite the rich man. Khloe's baby-daddy Tristan is rich as well, but unfaithful. One could say that the two never struggle, but they can't help but to be jealous of Kim's ultra-famous husband Kanye. Their men just couldn't cut it, and between Scott's immaturity and Tristan's cheating, Kanye can easily be seen as the best of them all. But why does Kim get all the glory? Don't they deserve to have the luxuries that Kim has as well? One day they decided that it was their time to be in the spotlight. Kanye warned Kim of the sisters conspiring against her, but Kim was just too trusting to listen to him. She seduced him with her low-cut body-con dresses and he swooned at her words. Kanye let Kim invite the sisters over, as long as Kim gave no secrets about his new album away. But of course this was all the girls were asking about, and so Kim had her bodyguard take them out of the house after giving them each one of her Gucci belts. But they knew that Kim was keeping a secret from them, and they wanted to bring Kim down. They came back to Kim's house, this time telling Kim that Kanye's new album was trash, and that no record company would ever want it. Kim believed them and decided to listen to their advice... deleting every copy of is recordings and lyrics in the night. But in the middle of listening to the sweet sound of one of his songs, she accidentally pressed the "full volume" button on the speakers and woke Kanye up. When he saw what she was doing, he got in his Mercedes and left Kim all alone. To make matters worse, he also sent her a text, telling her to leave the house that he bought her. Kim couldn't believe what had just happened. Not only did her own flesh and blood lie to her, but now she had to raise her four kids all alone without the love of her life. 


Authors Note: I wanted to make up a modern version of the story of Cupid and Psyche without having to tell the entire story. For some odd reason the only set of sisters I could think of (who were all known as beautiful) were the Kardashians. I quickly realized that like the sisters in the original story, Kourtney and Khloe both had great lives, but not the best luck with men. Kanye may not be the ideal candidate for Cupid, but overall it makes sense when looking at the big picture. Despite some major fiction in regards to the lives of the Kardashians, the skeleton of their lives works well with the original story up to this point. (As far as I know, Kanye's mother doesn't have any bad blood towards Kim.)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I really liked how you turned the story of Cupid and Psyche around and made it about Kanye and the Kardashians. I always love it when people take the older stories they've read and modernize them like you did! It really made me enjoy the story. I haven't actually read the real Cupid and Psyche story in the Untextbook, but thankfully I've read a few other students' stories about Cupid and Psyche, so I understand what's going on. I wonder what would happen if Kanye's mother had it out for Kim like Cupid's did for Psyche? From the stories I read, I know that Cupid's mother Venus really took a lot of her anger out on Psyche because she was so beautiful. Taking that part of the story and adding in the more modern elements would be an interesting way to end the story for sure. Maybe Kanye's mother would trash Kim in the press, or team up with her sisters to tear her down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan!

    You've done a great job transforming a classic tale into a modern retelling! It's particularly interesting how you've taken a famous family and pitted the members against one another. I think one thing you could add that would greatly enhance this story is some dialogue! I am very interested to hear the scheming plans of the sisters, and to hear Kim's conflicted feelings firsthand.
    Consider adding paragraph breaks to help with the organization of the story and give readers a "pause" to transition to new ideas/settings. Also, consider only using italics when you have words or phrases that you'd particularly like to highlight; it can be a bit distracting if the entire story is italicized.

    A few copy editing notes:
    -"a bot" -- I believe you meant "a bit"
    -"they can't help but to be jealous" -- you don't need the infinitive form here; it should read "but be jealous"
    -"copy of is recordings" -- I believe you meant "his"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan!
    This was a great take on the classic tale of Cupid and Psyche! You incorporated modern elements into the story, while maintaining the original theme. By using a modern example, students who have not read the original story can still connect with the overall message. I enjoy your writing as well because you included visual details and added great transitions from one point to the next point. Did you consider inserting dialogue? It would add more "action," and it would showcase the characters' thoughts and feelings. One suggestion would be to add dialogue when the sisters are persuading Kim to delete Kanye's music. I think dialogue here would make it exciting! Also, let's pretend that Kayne confronted the sisters instead of leaving Kim. What would happen next? This option allows Kanye to do something different in the plot. These are just a few considerations, and I hope my feedback helps you in some way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan! Wow! What a way to retell the story of Cupid and Psyhe. I really never considered the story from a modern perspective, so I am really glad I got to read yours. It is kind of crazy how well the Kardashians fit into the role of the sisters, but I do agree with you on how Kanye is a weird choice for Cupid. I cannot wait to read your other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan, Wow! I really liked your story! The part about Kim giving away her gucci belts to shut her sisters up was hilarious and I really appreciated that! I wonder where Kim gets all the gucci belts or where she hides her thumb drive or whatever that has Kanye's music on it? Perhaps there could be a side story with her looking for kanye's hidden music. What if there was a back story about the conversation that khloe and Kim had and how they were just talking trash about Kanye's music. I think that would be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megan!
    Oh my goodness this may be one of my favorite stories! I read the original story too and I think you did a fantastic job of retelling it. Within the first couple of sentences I was wowed by your creativity in character selection and how straight to the point your story was. My favorite part was how you described the sisters and their husbands. I wonder what other characters you could find for the originally story? Like who would play some of the other Gods or Cupid's mother? I would love to see Kim's mom have some kind of role. What if you made Kim and Kanye's relationship the topic of a storybook? I think that would be such a fun read. You could utilize several different stories from different units of readings and modernize them and adjust them in to the journeys of Kim and Kanye. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Megan!

    I think Kim and Kanye are a great choice for a modern Cupid and Psyche! Using them as characters was a great choice and they fit the plot rather nicely. I really enjoyed the storyline you created because it felt pretty authentic to both Kim and Kanye and to the original story.

    I kind of wondered why Kim would believe her sisters knew anything about Kanye’s new album. I didn’t understand why she would have thought they had heard it or knew anything about it is she hadn’t. Did they talk to some people who work with Kanye or something? What gives them any credibility?

    Overall I really liked your story but something I thought could be interesting is if you changed the beginning a little bit to make it sound like the story is being told by a paparazzi who is sharing breaking news with his readers just to make the beginning a little more attention grabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Megan! I really enjoyed your take on Cupid and Psyche. I think your retelling wonderfully translates this classic story into the bizarre modern era we live in.

    Using the Kardashians as the subject of your story does a great job of portraying the vanity and rivalry that was present in the original story. I was curious to learn what the sisters would be disputing over, and I really enjoyed you bringing a new Kanye West album into the mix. The whole Kardashian clan can have arguments over the wildest things, and I could definitely see it being something that is in the realm of possibility of occurring in the real world. I wonder what would happen if something like your story was to actually occur.

    I think you did a great job at staying true to the original material. I thought your story was fun and a very creative way to change a story. Having such relevant characters makes your story all the more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Megan!

    I immediately knew I had to read this story after seeing the title! I think the Kardashians are hilarious, and you did a fantastic job of telling the story of Cupid and Psyche while integrating modern themes and people that we are familiar over. I think it would be interesting if you created more drama with the sisters and the baby daddys of the other two sisters, as that's exactly the type of thing that happens on the show. The story telling also could have been more interesting if dialogue was included. That would help bring us into the story like we were actually watching the TV show.

    Overall, I thought the idea was excellent, and I enjoyed reading the drama.

    ReplyDelete