Thursday, August 22, 2019

Growth Mindset

Considering I have previously had Professor Gibbs's Indian Epics class I can recall the Growth Mindset assignment, however, I have had an abundance of assignments in between. Therefore, I decided to revisit the videos as well as my post from last year to see how my viewpoint has changed. I really like that this assignment is something that can be taken into many different branches by each student. For me, one example that I pointed out in my previous blog from Carol Dweck that is so relatable is the overwhelming feeling as a student to achieve an A despite the lack of actual learning and/or retention. I think life overall can have this issue in which we are trying so hard to achieve a goal or reach a point of success, that we don't actually realize what it takes to get to that place or what is learned along the way. Of course this isn't always the case, and in fact I really like the example of  practice in sports or performing arts in order to get to a championship or competition. I know that I personally can say from an athletes point of view that "just getting an A" doesn't cut it. As a golfer, I had to practice or I wouldn't be invited to a regional, conference, or state tournament. Therefore, if I were to slack off, I wouldn't even get the opportunity to fail! Thankfully, I can say that I feel that I am growing as a person and find myself stopping to smell the roses instead of zooming along in life just to get to an end point. Sometimes in life we metaphorically can be stuck by a few thorns along the way to our goals, but overall that can help us grow as people as well. 

Image result for stop and smell the roses
Stop and Smell the Roses by April 6/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment