Monday, August 26, 2019

Week 2 Reading Overview


Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.
Week 3: Jewish Fairy Tales
Week 4: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche


Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.
Week 5: Turkish Fairy Tales
Week 6: Persian Tales


Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]
Week 7: Tibetan Folk Tales
Week 9: Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki)


Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.
Week 10: Native American Marriage Tales
Week 11: American Indian Fairy Tales


Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.
Week 12: Alice in Wonderland
Week 13: Faerie Queen - Britomart


Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.
Week 14: Dante's Inferno
Week 15: Russian Folktales

I am really excited to start reading all of these unique stories. I wanted to read some originals that are more well known such as Alice in Wonderland, as long as some other Tales from around the globe that I am unfamiliar with. Considering my previous enrollment in Indian Epics, I tried to avoid repeating any stories that I have already read, just to broaden my horizons. I am also looking forward to asking my boyfriend about some Polish stories that he heard growing up so that I might make some suggestions. 

Image result for meme about languages
Thank You Note for Every Language by woodleywonderworks

I chose this photo for my post because I think it is important to remember that the majority of these stories were not written in English. As a religious studies major, I am always very appreciative of original texts in their primary languages. Some words cannot be translated exactly into English, and so we must keep that in mind when reading texts. However, there is such a beauty that surrounds the idea of multiple languages representing a single story. It is amazing that people around the globe now have access to wonderful stories in their own language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment