Monday, August 26, 2019

Week 2 Story: Mother, Mary, and Man

I chose the story of The Three Roses, part of Josef Baudis's The Key of Gold (1922) because I found the relationship between a mother and daughter to be refreshing. In many tales of the past, there is a focus on a male main character, or at least a wise father figure, and so I was interested in this change. I decided to tell the story from the point of view of the daughter, Mary. 

Image result for mother and daughter


As mother walked into the door my excitement immediately turned into fright. I had never seen her is such distress. She looked as if she had aged 100 years in just a short journey's time. I thought the worst had already been seen, but little did I know that the worst was yet to be said.

"You must go child, or my life will be taken."

When mother spoke those words, I knew I had to show no emotion. After what she had been through already, my sadness would do nothing but bring more harm. And so I followed her back to the palace of the Basilisk. It was strange how such a beautiful palace surrounded by roses could be home to a thorn. If only I hadn't asked for a silly flower. I try to be a simple girl, but this time I wished I had just followed my sisters. 

As I walked into my new home I realized that I now had everything that I would ever want, except my family. Although, I was not able to mourn for long, as the beast swiftly made his way to my side with demands. I was confused by his request of nursing for three hours a day, but I thought it better to oblige with my master instead of be slain. 

The routine continued until the third day. On this day, he came in with a sword in his beak. It was the sharpest sword I had ever laid eyes on, and it looked heaver than stone. 

"You will cut off my head dear girl, or consequences will lead to your death." 

At first I was quite hesitant, but I thought it best to kill than to be killed. I took the sword from his beak and looked him in the eyes. I couldn't help but back away and admire the beast one last time before swinging with all of my might at his neck. 

Immediately I saw something other than blood emerge from his neck... it was serpent. Without hesitation, I silenced it's hissing by swinging again and slicing his head off as well. I then heard the cling of keys hit the palace floor, as a beam of light emerged from the lifeless body of the two creatures I had slain. 

Suddenly, a beautiful man emerged from the light and spoke with sweetness, "My sweet Mary, your sacrifice has delivered me again. You nursed me to health, and you freed me from the beasts. I have no choice but to happily take you hand in marriage." 

When I realized what I had done I was overcome with joy. We wed promptly, and had the most glorious ceremony of all time. Best of all, I saw my mother again, back to health and more cheerful than ever. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I loved this! You did a great job of giving Mary a personality and showing the guilt she felt from making her mother endure any amount of sadness. I love the drive she had to sacrifice herself for her mother. One of my favorite ways to learn about a character is through their actions, and you did that really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Megan, I love what you did with this story! You took a rather long story and shrunk it rewriting it from the perspective of the daughter! I thought this was a brilliant twist to the story. It gave the story a human like feel to it that before I felt was lacking. I was able to feel a bit of what the daughter felt by what was going through her head! Keep up the great work I can’t wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan!

    The Three Roses was the story I used for my first portfolio story. It is so interesting how different people can have entirely different perspectives after reading the same exact story. And wow! I loved your retelling of it. The first person point-of-view is really what brought this story to life. I will have to try this technique when writing my next story. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete