Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Introduction to the Eclectic Megan

Hello all!
My name is Megan Renee Palmer and I am a senior this year at OU. My major is religious studies, and I am also a Pre-Medical student. I started off as a biology major, but after taking courses with Dr. Kimball and Dr. Hicks-Keeton, I found my love for religious studies to be major worthy. I enjoy the opportunities to take non-math/science based classes that give my brain a change with courses that interest the other half of my mind. For example, one of my favorite classes I have ever taken is The History of Heaven and Hell. Professor Shepkaru did a spectacular job in keeping the three hour, once a day course interesting and engaging. I highly recommend taking at least one class of his or the other two professors I mentioned previously, as all of them had classes that flew by because I enjoyed them so much.

In regards to my future plans, my plan is to go to medical school (podiatry school specifically). I find weird/gross medical procedures fascinating and luckily have been exposed to some pretty awesome experiences in person thanks to multiple volunteer opportunities in an E.R., wound care center, children's hospital, and many more. Blood, smells, and puss doesn't bother me one bit! I also plan on getting certification for certain cosmetic procedures post doctorate in things such as nerve mapping, varicose vein dyeing, and amputee reconstructive surgery. Not only do I enjoy the anomalies of the human body, but I also want to make people feel better both physically and mentally. Especially in regards to their legs and feet, people get very insecure about their abnormalities. I want to help provide relief so that they can live their lives not having to worry about hiding who they are or what they have, Everyone is beautiful in my opinion, but I want to help others feel that about themselves.

Speaking of insecurities, I have a few faults of my own. About four years ago I was diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, anxiety, and depression. Anxiety and depression unfortunately run in my family and is a genetic/chemical issue, however, the B.D.D. stems from a rather dark time in my life where I struggled with an eating disorder (as well as over working out) due to bullying in my grade-school years. Thankfully, I have God and my family by my side. I won't go into the personal details, but with their help, I am doing much better than I was and overall I am much healthier.

Now that all of the deep, heavy stuff is out of the way... I'm now going to talk about my favorite activity. I love to golf and I have been golfing since I was 11 years old. It is so relaxing yet challenging and I enjoy spending family time on the course. Not to mention, Top Golf is much more fun when you know what you're doing! I'm really close to my family, especially my older brother who is an OU graduate/current Putnam City West teacher and my cousin who is three days younger than me. She goes to OSU (sadly) and somehow we actually ended up being sorority sisters as well! Golf is a great way for us to spend a few hours together just enjoying each others company as well as some friendly competition.

I of course have to include something about my precious dogs. I have a Yorkshire terrier named Jessie and a Bishon Frise named Mia. Jessie is an 12 year old princess who weights a whopping 6 lbs. She still acts like a puppy and she is my sunshine on a cloudy day. She has the most adorable face in the entire world and I love her so much. I got her on Easter three years ago from my grandparents. Her original owner passed away from cancer, and the husband wanted to give Jessie away, as she was just a reminder of his deceased wife. She had a rough time adjusting in her new home as an older dog at first, but by now she knows that she is spoiled rotten and that she will forever receive constant love and attention from her second mommy. I also have my angel Mia who is 13 years old and is blind. She has cataracts, but her retinas are detached as well. She is my childhood dog and I love her with all of my heart. She is the biggest sweetheart you'll ever meet. Plus, not many people can say that their dog has an afro! I also have to mention that I am the proud aunt of Colt and Jack, the two craziest blue-heeler mixes that you'd ever meet. I am also the god-mother/aunt of the biggest pet bunny I have ever seen named Thumper.



                                 Jessie and Mia on their way to Remington Bark 2017    
                    


                                               Colt, Jack and Thumper Cuddling the Day Away 

Lastly, I am going to be the typical 20 year old girl and brag about my super sweet boyfriend. He recently moved all the way from Florida to Oklahoma just to live by me! He was born in New York, New York and is 100% Polish. He speaks Polish fluently and most importantly can cook traditional dishes. I believe I talked about how much his family has influenced my new found love for Poland in a previous post, so feel free to check that out as well! He is a tall, red head and he has the most true, ocean blue eyes I have ever seen. Even though he is a total Pokemon nerd at 24 years old, I couldn't be happier with my total goofball boyfriend.

Honestly, I could type all day about my life and the things I love, but I'm afraid I have to save some things for later. Overall, I am an artsy, crafty, book-loving, sappy, horror-movie hating, Lany and Billie Eillish listening, animal loving, sporty, emotional 20 year old young woman. I guess you could say that I am an all around type of girl, but there is nothing wrong with being eclectic right?

35 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,

    I’m always impressed with people who have no problem with the gross and medical; we need people like that for all these important roles, and as someone who is the exact opposite way, I have real respect for it. Best of luck with your med school plans!

    Your family, boyfriend, and pets sound great – it sounds like you’ve got a lot of great animals, both human and otherwise, in your life!

    (By the by, I totally get what you’re going for with the font – I miss handwriting and cursive more than most – but it is unfortunately very difficult to read on a screen… just something to consider.)

    See you around the course,
    Best,
    A.M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! It is so cool that you're doing religious studies and pre-med. It is great to be able to focus on something you enjoy to keep you afloat while also taking the brutal pre-med courses. Also, your pets are very adorable! I am glad they all have a good and loving home. I hope you enjoy the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan! Congratulations on making it to senior year! It's such a busy and exciting time. The History of Heaven and Hell sounds like a really interesting class. I've really enjoyed some of the courses that I've taken at OU as well. I think that animals bring such a sense of joy to our lives, so I loved seeing the pictures of your pets. Best of luck to you in this coming semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Megan!! Props to you for being a Pre-Med. That is so difficult to me and couldn't fathom myself doing that. Your dogs are so awesome! I wish my dogs could have come with me to college, but my mother would not allow me to take them with me. Congrats on making it to senior year and I am truly excited for the future for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan!

    I feel like we have SO much in common. I also am a senior this year and I am a pre-medical student. I will be applying to medical school this upcoming spring/summer, which is exciting yet also terrifying at the same time. Additionally, I also have a 13 year old Bichon Frise. His name is Max and he was a birthday present (my favorite one I have ever received). Max is back home in Dallas and I miss him so much so I get how you feel. Also, I think it is so awesome how you talked about your mental health. It honestly was so brave and amazing and I applaud you for that!! I can't wait to get to know you more and read more your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice getting to meet people a second time around, Megan: this time I can put it all together after getting to know you last time! And how cool that you have had courses with Dr. Hicks-Keeton: she is one of my favorite OU people to follow at Twitter, so you may see items coming up from here in the class Twitter stream sometime. And Dr. Shepkaru is one of my oldest friends at OU: he was the Hebrew teacher when I first came to OU back in 1999, so I took his modern Hebrew class. He was such a fun teacher!
    And I have to say: I admire your career plans... but not for me. I'm one of those people who will faint, yes, faint, at the sight of blood. I am so glad you have found our own path to health and well-being and that you will be able to help others do the same!
    And you have a bunny: oh my gosh! I've become obsessed with rabbit stories lately, so I have to say it is very cool that a rabbit is part of your life. You should ask your boyfriend to teach you the Polish names for all the animals, like pies (pyes) for dog and zając (zajonts) for rabbit; well, technically that's a hare I guess, so królik (kruleek) for bunny rabbit! And of course the animals are adorable in all the languages. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny that you mention Jajac because it is actually my boyfriend's last name!

      Delete
  7. Hi Megan, congrats on finding your way in life! I appreciate your goals in life and find your choice of taking non science classes relatable. I am taking Russian classes mainly alongside my sciences classes to give my brain a break and to operate differently. I feel that taking a lot of sciences makes one’s brain quite rigid. To counteract this taking a lot of thought-based classes or language classes allows for the fluidity of thought. I love your pets they are so cute! I hope your med school endeavor works out and you can do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Megan!! I have met so many Pre-Health majors and yours is very interesting. I admire that you are a Religious Studies major that is Pre-Med because of the challenging and stimulating aspect to your brain. At the moment, I am looking for volunteer opportunities and all the ones you have done sound awesome!! Also, I tried golfing once and I am probably the worst you will ever seen lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Megan! I am always excited to meet a pre-med major as I am also on the same journey as you! Like you, my dogs are something that I care about deeply. I personally have German shepherd named Max. He is 12 years old, so he is kind of old, but he still acts like he is a puppy! Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Megan!

    How cool that you have found a passion for religious studies here at OU! I have heard wonderful things about the department, and a course title like "History of Heaven and Hell" certainly peaks my interest in the subject. I had a pet rabbit growing up named Holli, so I am always thrilled to meet other bunny owners (/god-mothers)! They are such sweet, cuddly animals. I wish you all the best on your journey to med school and in navigating the blood, smells, and puss! I have great respect for such a calm and collected attitude toward things that make most people squeamish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Megan,

    It was awesome getting to get a glimpse into your life! I loved getting to learn more about your pets! I'm an animal lover as well and I have 3 dogs at the moment. Sadly, they're all home in Texas but are happy which is all that matters! I think it's adorable you named your bunny Thumper, and he's super cute. And hats off to you for pursuing an undergrad major you love in comparison with the normal pre-med school options. I wish you the best during this class and the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Megan!
    Thank you so much for sharing about your life! I loved getting to learn about your interests and hobbies! Your major seems so incredibly cool, and History of Heaven and Hell seems like such a cool class! Your pets are adorable and they seem so so sweet! I have two dogs as well, but they're at a home with my family, so I haven't been able to see them in a while.. Best of luck with the semester. I can't wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Megan!

    Wow! That is so unique that you are studying religious studies, and you are also wanting to pursue medicine. It sounds like you are very well rounded. I have been wanting to take an intro to religious studies class here at OU, and maybe I will for one of my other humanity classes. Most importantly, thank you for being so brave by sharing your health history on this class. You are so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Megan, that's awesome that you are Religious Studies and premed! Do you happen to know Ian Smith by any chance? Also, I think that's really neat that you are planning on doing cosmetic things with your medical interest! I never thought about podiatry school but I really like the idea of how broad of a range you have with things you can do with that specialty! Anyways, have fun in this class and good luck applying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Megan!
    Thank you for sharing your life with us! I loved getting to know you! I can't believe that your brother teachers at Putnam City West! I actually attended Putnam City Original! I guess that makes us rivals? I am currently a biology major and it definitely does not give your mind a break! Best of luck in your future plans!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Megan,

    The History of Heaven and Hell course sounds really interesting. I'd be curious to hear what you learned from it. Good luck in medical school! Your reasoning for getting into medical school is really inspiring. Sorry to hear about your struggles with B.D.D. That's really brave of you to share that and I'm glad to hear that it's better now. I've had some people close to me that also went through that. Well anyway good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Megan!
    I really enjoyed reading your introduction post! I love how many details you included, it made it feel like I was really getting to know you! Your story seems amazing, and I am so thankful you have been able to overcome your eating disorder. It's awesome that you are using your past to help others in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Megan!
    That is so sweet that your boyfriend moved all that way to be with you! That is true love. Also, I currently suffer from anxiety as well, so I know how that feels. I am glad you leaned on God through your toughest moments because he truly does help us in everything we do if we just let him in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Megan! I'm so glad you've progressed in your fight against your inner demons, and I love that you want to take your own experiences and help others feel more healthy and more comfortable about themselves. Thank you for sharing the animal side of your family with us! Your boyfriend sounds incredible in how he moved to stay closer to you. He's a keeper, and I wish you both the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Megan!
    It seems like we have a lot in common. I am also a Religious Studies major and didn't decide to until I took classes with Dr. HK. I am also taking a class (Evolution of Martyrdom) with Professor Shepkaru. I think it's cool that you are still planning on going to medical school as well. It shows a variety of interests on your part and I think that is great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Howdy Megan,

    I love the layout of your blog, all of the color and style choices are beautiful. Wow, it is cool that non of that stuff grosses you out, sounds like it would be a bit too much for myself. I am a psych major and think that it is really brave of you to share some of your problems with us and think that it is amazing that you are conquering your issues.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Megan! I think it's so cool that you're a religious studies major! I've always wanted to take a class about religions bu the closest I ever got to taking a "religions" class was Sociology of Religions. It's cool how none of the blood, puss and all that doesn't gross you out! I thought I would be like that too until I took Anatomy and got to dissect a cadaver and saw so many things that I never thought I would ever, ever see. Thank you for sharing your life with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Megan,

    I am glad you have found things you are passionate about in your life! You said the gross things you find interesting and that is good because someone needs to do those things! I try to stray away from all things related to that! I can tell in your intro you are very passionate about the things you love, and I hope I can one day find that same passion. Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Megan!

    I loved reading about you - you seem like you have a lot going for you and even though I don't know you I'm so glad you are at such a good spot in your life now! Your dogs are so cute and that bunny is HUGE. Have you learned any Polish or ever visited? That would be really neat to even do some medical work over there potentially. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Megan! I feel like I got to know you super well by reading your introduction post so kudos to you for that. I too have volunteered at different areas (ER, wound care, and children's hospital) that have exposed me to the grosser aspects of medicine and I find that I'm not as repulsed as the average person would be. It's so cool that you know exactly what you want to do in the future with such specificity and how you let your past life experiences guide you to that choice. Good luck on the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Megan,
    Wow, sounds like you have quite an interesting life! I'm happy that you're surrounded by so many positive relationships and have a curiosity about the world. While I am not religious personally, religious studies is always interesting! The History of Heaven and Hell sounds like a fascinating class! I can't imagine the struggles you've been through, but you've overcome and are shining on. Best of luck in all you.
    - Cate

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Megan!
    Your major sounds quite impressive! You have a stronger stomach than I do when it comes to handling real life trauma. I am a big horror and gore fan and I can watch movies like that with ease but when it comes to the real thing, I am a big baby. I am sorry to hear about your past, that really stinks, but I do think that God puts obstacles in our paths so we can become better versions of ourselves. Like you I also struggle with anxiety, adhd, and depression. I know it is a blessing to have people close to you that you can talk to. I hope the rest of your semester goes well and that grad school goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Megan,
    It is really nice to meet you. I completely get the desire to help people. I originally wanted to be a child psychologist, but recently I changed my plans to be an OT. I had to overcome some (or a lot) of my own anxiety in the past few years and I admire anyone who has overcome and wants to help others as well. I can't wait to read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Megan,

    It was really good getting to read a little bit about you. I love your dogs! My brother has a blue nose pit bull, and I love him. I hope school goes well, and I can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Megan,

    I loved having the opportunity to read about your story. Something I can relate with you about is the desire to help people. In high school I went on five different mission trips and i loved every one of them. It's comforting knowing there are others at this university that care to help as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Megan,
    I’m also pre-med, but your major sounds much more challenging to keep up with all of the pre-req’s that medical schools require. However, with your unique major, I’m sure you’ll be a standout to all the different programs you applied for this year. I’m in the same boat, with applications rounding out almost all of my time this past summer.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Megan!
    Glad to check back up on your page after reading your short story about the Queen. How has the pre-med life been treating you? I have an OU med interview next week which I am STRESSED about. Midterms just finished up for me, which were definitely a rough time as well. How’ve your been classes been going? Hope you’re having a great week!
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Megan!

    First off, props to you because blood, smells, and puss are always a definite no for me. I can't even watch someone pop a pimple. I also just had to google "varicose vein dyeing" after reading it, so thank you for teaching me something new! That's so sweet how golf is something that you can share with your family. Also, that picture of Colton, Jack, and Thumper made my heart so happy! I love seeing the love between different animals!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Megan!
    First off, I am obsessed with THUMPER, he/she is so so so cute! I have always loved rabbits and that one is especially cute. Good luck on your future endeavors into medical school, I am sure you will do great. The semester is practically over so you are already half way through senior year!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete